GFI MailEssentials has a powerful content filtering engine which can block emails for a number of reasons. For example, attachments in emails that do not meet certain rules will be blocked. This video explains how you can create attachment filtering rules.
To configure attachment filtering rules go to the GFI MailEssentials configuration ‘Content Filtering and Attachment Filtering’. Here you will see a list of attachment filtering rules that can be enabled or disabled.
- To create a new rule click on the Add Rule button
- Type in a name to uniquely distinguish the rule
- Select which emails you want to scan – inbound emails, outbound emails and even internal emails
- Next, choose which file extensions you want to block or allow
- As an added security measure you can configure the content filtering engine to check the file signature and not just the file extension
- Select what actions you would want for this rule. You can define what happens to the email; it’s either delete immediately or sent to quarantine; also you can decide who is notified when an email is blocked or quarantined
- You can also choose which users/groups this rule applies to, using an inclusion or exclusion list
- Click on the Apply button to save the rule
- Once added, select the rule and click on Enable Selected
A number of attachment filtering rules are available by default and these block potentially malicious attachments (image, videos and audio attachments). All you have to do is enable the filters you want to use and you’re all set to go.