October 16, 2012 - 12:00
New version will give software developers an even stronger anti-malware integration option
GFI Software™ today announced the availability of VIPRE 6.0 SDK (for Windows® environments) adding several new security features that software developers, PC utility providers and other security vendors can integrate into their product offerings or custom applications. Leveraging the advanced VIPRE Antivirus engine, vendors can integrate anti-malware technology with minimal development time and without compromising their customers’ desktop performance.
A key new feature available with this release is VIPRE Easy Install™ which enables PC utility providers to remove other security software from their end users’ computers upon installation. Pre-installed AV solutions or fragments of earlier AV programs can cause conflicts and installation problems, so VIPRE Easy Install automatically detects and uninstalls these programs without the need for user interaction. However, for vendors who wish to use multiple antivirus scanners in their offerings, VIPRE 6.0 SDK is also capable of working in tandem, giving providers maximum flexibility.
Why Developers Use SDKs
While software developers certainly appreciate the critical importance of malware detection and remediation, for many it is not a core competency. The most effective and cost-efficient way to integrate anti-malware technology is to use a software development kit (SDK), such as VIPRE 6.0 SDK, which provides a full arsenal of malware detection, remediation and firewall technologies in one powerful and easy-to-integrate package.
“We’ve been using the VIPRE SDKs from GFI in our Fix-It Utilities software for some time and have found it to be a perfect way to efficiently integrate and offer best-in-class security services to our customers,” said Kevin Bromber, general manager at VCOM, a division of Avanquest Software. “We can confidently plug advanced antivirus capabilities into our offerings without taking on the development headaches, and it works in harmony with our other programs.”
VIPRE 6.0 SDK includes several new features, including:
· VIPRE Rapid Scan – reduces scan times up to 90% with new high-speed scanning technology for Quick, Deep and Scheduled Scans.
· Rootkit engine – provides even greater protection and faster detections with automatic definition updates.
· Web filtering – dramatically increases browsing performance with more expansive filtering of malicious URLs and phishing websites.
· Microsoft Windows® 8 compatibility – now supports Windows 8 operating system.
· VIPRE Easy Install – eliminates slowness/crashes during installation by removing incompatible security software. This is an add-on feature available for an additional fee.
“An SDK is a supremely efficient way for developers to integrate proven technologies into their own products without investing a lot of time and resources,” said Julian Waits, vice president of GFI Software’s Advanced Technology Group. “We understand the vital role that anti-malware plays in this particular era of cyber security, and with our updated VIPRE 6.0 SDK we’re trying to bring the most cutting-edge security technologies we have to developers in a plug-and-play fashion, so they can make the security of their software automatic.”
The VIPRE Antivirus SDK uses an advanced technology stack, with a combination of heuristics, behavior detection methods and other signature types, to perform high-speed threat scanning on large volumes of data with limited performance impact on a user’s system. The VIPRE Antivirus SDK is ideal for:
· PC utility providers - extending the capabilities of their solutions beyond systems management and diagnostics to include malware detection and remediation.
· Security vendors - recognizing the industry best practice of integrating multiple anti-malware engines within their solutions, such as antivirus suites, web monitoring software and firewalls.
· Software developers and engineers - developing custom applications for organizations of all sizes in the public and private sectors concerned about the security and integrity of their data.
· Hardware vendors – building email security and gateway devices, such as UTMs.
Efficient, Best-in-Class Protection and Flexible Integration Options
VIPRE scans for viruses, worms, Trojans, spyware and other malicious threats without slowing down machines or hogging resources. It is certified by AV-TEST, ICSA, Virus Bulletin (VB100) and West Coast Labs. VIPRE 6.0 SDK is offered in three flexible integration options.
· Core integration – offers granular control with direct interface to the VIPRE engine and low-level integration of VIPRE with the application.
· Threat engine integration – provides the application with Active Protection, rootkit and full system scanning capabilities.
· Service integration – enables additional functionality to be combined with the threat engine.
VIPRE Antivirus SDK customers have access to a skilled team of security and business development professionals providing dedicated sales, marketing and technical support for all ATG partners. To learn more about GFI’s Advanced Technology Group, visit www.gfi.com/atg, send email to email@example.com or call 855-443-4284.
GFI Software provides web and mail security, archiving and fax, networking and security software and hosted IT solutions for small to medium-sized businesses (SMB) via an extensive global partner community. GFI products are available either as on-premise solutions, in the cloud or as a hybrid of both delivery models. With award-winning technology, a competitive pricing strategy, and a strong focus on the unique requirements of SMBs, GFI satisfies the IT needs of organizations on a global scale. The company has offices in the United States, UK, Austria, Australia, Malta, Hong Kong, Philippines and Romania, which together support hundreds of thousands of installations worldwide. GFI is a channel-focused company with thousands of partners throughout the world and is also a Microsoft Gold ISV Partner.