November 22, 2011 - 12:00
GFI Software offers a sneak peek at its holiday discounts for Black Friday and Cyber Monday; offers tips for online shopping safety
GFI Software is kicking off the holiday shopping season with some of the largest discounts ever for its antivirus software. Exclusively available at vipreantivirus.com, GFI Software will offer GFI VIPRE Antivirus 2012 for $9.95 and GFI VIPRE Internet Security 2012 for $19.95 on Black Friday, Nov. 25, and Cyber Monday, Nov. 28. Each provides one year of full antivirus software protection for a single PC, including the latest threat updates.
Consumers are also encouraged to visit vipreantivirus.com throughout the Thanksgiving weekend, Nov. 26 - 27, for additional discounts on VIPRE Antivirus, including multi-year and multi-PC licenses, and the Home Site license that covers up to 10 PCs in a user’s home.
With VIPRE, users do not sacrifice the speed and performance of their computers to gain the protection they need when connecting with friends on Facebook, paying bills, shopping, playing games, receiving email or participating in any other online activity. Introduced in 2008 and trusted by users worldwide, VIPRE defends against viruses, worms, spyware, Trojans, bots, rootkits and more.
‘Tis The Season For Online Scams
“The far-reaching excitement that Black Friday and Cyber Monday create is exactly the type of buzz that cybercriminals will exploit,” said Christopher Boyd, senior threat researcher, GFI Software. “They know that people will be online searching for the best deals on all kinds of products. This creates opportunities for them to target online shoppers with various tactics, including SEO poisoning, malicious links on sites like Twitter and Facebook, and phishing scams promoting great deals in exchange for users’ personal information.”
GFI Software offers online shoppers five tips for staying safe this holiday season:
1. Secure Your PC and Network – Be sure the computer you use has, at a minimum, a firewall, up-to-date antivirus software and the latest version of whichever web browser you are running. At home, ensure your wireless network is password-protected. If you must shop online in a public place, avoid using an unsecured Wi-Fi connection.
2. Use Strong Passwords– A strong, alphanumeric password with at least eight characters is an easy way to help defend your personal information online. It is also recommended that you use different user names and passwords for each online account you have.
3. Shop on Trusted, Secure Websites – Before entering your personal financial information to make a transaction, always make sure that you are using a site that provides encryption for the credit card transaction. Look for the closed padlock on the browser’s address bar or at the bottom of the screen. Also check the browser’s address bar to confirm that the URL begins with “https,” signifying a secure site that provides encrypted communication.
4. Protect Personal Information – Most online shopping will require disclosing information to process a transaction. It is normal to provide contact information like an address and phone number, and, when prompted, your credit card number. However, be wary of any request for additional information, especially if it is received by email claiming to confirm a purchase or asking for additional information. Always contact the merchant directly if you have any doubt about requests for personal information you receive.
5. Be Careful What You Click – While searching online for deals and product reviews, be careful about clicking on hyperlinks you run across in search engine results and holiday e-cards, as well as on social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook, even if it appears that your friends are suggesting a link for you. Always verify the URL address—especially shortened URLs—of any link you run across to ensure it will direct you to a safe, reputable website. One wrong click can lead to malware that could end your holiday shopping season early.
Try VIPRE Today
To learn more about VIPRE Antivirus 2012 or VIPRE Internet Security 2012, visit www.vipreantivirus.com, download a free 30-day, full-featured trial, call 888-688-8457 or send an email to email@example.com.
GFI Software provides web and mail security, archiving, backup and fax, networking and security software and hosted IT solutions for small and medium-size businesses (SMBs) via an extensive global partner community. GFI products are available either as on-premise solutions, in the cloud or as a hybrid of both delivery models. With award-winning technology, a competitive pricing strategy, and a strong focus on the unique requirements of SMBs, GFI satisfies the IT needs of organizations on a global scale. The company has offices in the United States (North Carolina, California and Florida), UK (London and Dundee), Austria, Australia, Malta, Hong Kong, Philippines and Romania, which together support hundreds of thousands of installations worldwide. GFI is a channel-focused company with thousands of partners throughout the world and is also a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner.